The Drax Technical Apprentice Scheme runs over four years. The programme focuses on three engineering disciplines:
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electrical Control and Instrumentation Engineering
Successful candidates will initially train in general engineering principles, before selecting one of the disciplines above, or a combined qualification agreed on appointment.
Qualifications and skills development
At the end of the programme our apprentices could achieve the following nationally recognised qualifications:
- BTEC – National Certificate in Engineering
- NVQ – EAL Level 3 Engineering Maintenance (Pathway EMA Mechanical) or
- NVQ – EAL Level 3 Engineering Maintenance (Pathway EMA Electrical) or
- NVQ – EAL Level 3 Engineering Maintenance (Pathway EMA Instrumentation)
- Management Operations Engineering Apprenticeship (Level 3)
Scottish Apprentices Modern Apprenticeship in Engineering (SCQF Level 6 or 7)
- NC – National Certificate in Engineering
- SVQ 2 – Performing Engineering Operations
- SVQ 3 – Engineering Maintenance
In addition, our apprentices can expect to develop a number of key skills such as planning and organisation, communication, team working and problem solving.
Technical apprenticeship scheme – four-year overview
Year 1 – 90% of the year is spent at their Engineering Training Academy.
Year 2 – 100% of the year is spent at Drax, focusing on the NVQ/SVQ qualification, and gaining practical experience
Year 3 – 100% of the year is spent at Drax, focusing on the NVQ/SVQ qualification, and gaining practical experience
Year 4 – 100% of the year is spent at Drax, during which time the apprentices will continue to develop their experience across the site and complete their NVQ/SVQ and in the case of English Apprentices their End Point Assessment.
Drax directly employs all apprentices throughout the term of the apprenticeship to ensure a timely and positive learning and job experience.
During the apprenticeship, travel costs will be provided if required to travel to your training provider or another site over and above your normal travel expenses to work. In addition, accommodation will be paid for where appropriate.