Independent limited assurance statement
To: The Stakeholders of Drax Group Plc
Introduction and objectives of work
Bureau Veritas UK Limited (‘Bureau Veritas’) has been engaged by Drax Group Plc (‘Drax’) to provide limited assurance over sustainability activities reported in its Annual report and accounts 2019 (‘the Report’). This Assurance Statement applies to the related information included within the scope of work described below. The aim of this process is to provide assurance to Drax’s stakeholders over the accuracy, reliability and objectivity of the reported information and that it covers the issues material to the business and its stakeholders.
Scope of work
The scope of our work was limited to assurance over performance data and information included within the Report for the period 1st of January to the 31st of December 2019 (the ‘Selected Information’), as listed below:
- Carbon emissions (scope 1 and scope 2);
- Total Recordable Injury Rate under Health and safety performance;
- Employment data on headcount as per contracts, country, business unit and gender;
- Water use data; and
- Average biomass supply chain GHG emissions.
The Selected Information has been prepared in accordance with internal definitions and thresholds set by Drax for their sustainability KPIs reporting.
Limitations and Exclusions
Our assurance process was subject to the following limitations:
- Activities outside the defined verification period;
- Positional statements (expressions of opinion, belief, aim or future intention by Drax) and statements of future commitment;
- Determine which, if any, recommendations should be implemented;
- Appropriateness of the reporting criteria;
- Financial data provided in the Report which are audited by an external financial auditor, including but not limited to any statements relating to production, tax, sales, and financial investments; and
- Other information included in the Report other than the scope defined above.
The verified 2019 EU Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS) reported data were relied on as part of the GHG emissions assurance process, and the verification effort was not repeated. It should also be noted that the auditor approved reports for EU ETS reporting was provided by Drax for these set of data, however the reports were still pending final technical reviews from the auditors before submission to the authorities.
This limited assurance engagement relies on a risk based selected sample of sustainability data and the associated limitations that this entails. This independent statement should not be relied upon to detect all errors, omissions or misstatements that may exist.
The preparation and presentation of the Selected Information in the Report is the sole responsibility of the management of Drax.
Bureau Veritas was not involved in the drafting of the Report. Our responsibilities were to:
- Obtain limited assurance about whether the Selected Information has been appropriately and accurately prepared;
- Form an independent conclusion based on the assurance procedures performed and evidence obtained; and
- Report our conclusions to the management of Drax.
We performed our work to a limited level of assurance in accordance with International Standard on Assurance Engagements (ISAE) 3000 Revised, Assurance Engagements Other than Audits or Reviews of Historical Financial Information (effective for assurance reports dated on or after December 15, 2015), issued by the International Auditing and Assurance Standards Board.
Summary of work performed
As part of its independent verification, Bureau Veritas undertook the following activities:
- Assessed the appropriateness and accuracy of the Selected Information;
- Conducted interviews with relevant personnel of Drax;
- Conducted visits to Drax Power Station, York and Damhead Creek Power Station, Kent and reviewed source documentation for the Selected Information;
- Reviewed the data collection and consolidation processes used to compile the Selected Information, including assessing assumptions made, the data scope and reporting boundaries;
- Reviewed a sample of the Selected Information against the corresponding source documentation provided by Drax;
- Agreed a selection of the Selected Information to the corresponding source documentation remotely for a chosen sample sites other than the physical visits; and
- Performed a selection of aggregation calculations of the Selected Information;
On the basis of our methodology and the activities described above nothing has come to our attention to indicate that the Selected Information is not fairly stated in the Report in all material respects.
Further detailed recommendations are provided in the form of an internal management report to be issued to Drax.
Statement of Independence, Integrity and Competence
Bureau Veritas is an independent professional services company that specialises in quality, environmental, health, safety and social accountability with over 190 years’ history. Its assurance team has extensive experience in conducting verification over environmental, social, ethical and health and safety information, systems and processes.
-  Certificate available on request
-  International Federation of Inspection Agencies – Compliance Code – Third Edition